Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Eddy Current Suppression Ring- Primary Colours


When I hear the words ‘Australian Pub Rock’ I cringe and run away in the opposite direction as quickly as possible. Unfortunately when I was hearing about this band that how I was told they sounded. When I actually got around to hearing them for myself I was pleasantly surprised that they were quite different from what I assumed.

Primary colours is their second album after their debut self titled which included my favourite, goofy and bleatingly obvious stoner anthem ‘Get up morning’

There is a universal honesty to every release that this band puts out. No song is perfect, they’re all recorded within two or three takes and they’re all kept to one or two riffs. I know, age old formula, but once again it works a treat. There is a sense of urgency throughout the whole album and amazingly the tempo never slows nor becomes belated or old.

For those people experiencing this band for the first time, especially those who are not Australians the first thing that slaps you in the face is Brendan Suppression’s outright Australian spoken/shouted voice. It takes a while to get use to this but eventually it is impossible to think of the band without the vocals.

The highlight song for me is You Let Me Be Honest With You for no other reason that its just fucking awesome, which I’m sure ECSR intended, no strings, no gimmicks, no wank.

http://rapidshare.com/files/119721840/Primary_Colours.rar.html